I finished quilting Prairie Night and Chiaroscuro Water Lily quite a while ago, but I didn’t get around to binding them or finishing the edges in some way. I wrote about Prairie Night here and about making Chiaroscuro Water Lily here. I’ve been working on some other small quilts for Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative, so I figured I’d better get these two finished so I can ship them all off. Continue reading
Watercolor Coneflowers is my quilt for the Fall 2012 Blogger’s Quilt Festival. It’s a small art quilt that I’ve been working on to donate to the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (which has already raised over $773,000 to raise awareness of Alzheimer’s and fund research). Both of my parents suffered from Alzheimer’s, and you can read more about why I support AAQI here. Continue reading
I previously wrote about a Hawaiian Cheater Quilt design that I did for a contest at Spoonflower. I ordered a yard of the fabric on which I included a large version of the design and three small versions (about 8 inches by 10 inches) in different colors. Here are the smaller versions.
In two earlier posts I talked about my process for creating a quilt design starting from a photo. In this post, I’ll go through the process of actually making the quilt based on the final design (shown here).
With the strong circular element in the design, I knew it would be important for the grass shapes to line up exactly across the circle. Normally I prefer to make my quilts by piecing rather than some form of applique. I’ll often use Ruth McDowell’s piecing technique on a complex quilt. However, for this design, I thought that piecing would take forever and I wanted to complete the quilt fairly quickly since it was part of a class (“Inspired to Design” with Elizabeth Barton at Quilt University). Continue reading
As a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan, it pains me to say this, but Congratulations to the St. Louis Cardinals on winning the World Series. Although the cardinal on my quilt looks a bit like the ones on the St. Louis uniforms, it was inspired by the cardinals that visit the bird feeder outside our kitchen window.
I made Winter Cardinal (9 inches by 12 inches) as a donation to the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative. Both of my parents suffered from Alzheimer’s, so supporting the search for a cure is very important to me. Continue reading
In my previous post, I walked through the initial design process I used to create the quilt Prairie Grasses. I started with this photo, drew sketches to simplify the design and started on looking at value studies.
I recently completed the class “Inspired to Design” with Elizabeth Barton through Quilt University. The class is about the process of creating art quilts, starting with an idea, working up sketches, using value studies, creating color schemes and finally constructing the quilt.
I really enjoyed the class and I completed a quilt based on one of the designs I worked on. In this post and the next two I’ll walk through my steps in creating this quilt. Continue reading
In a previous post I talked about the improvisational approach I took to create a quilt from two silk scarves I bought while on vacation in Kauai.
That previous post showed some of the different layouts I’d tried–both on the computer and on my design wall–for all the pieces I’d sewn together. The picture on the right shows nearly the final design. Just a few more pieces were added for the final quilt.
The completed quilt top is pictured below. Continue reading
My young friend Lin-Z had never made a quilt. She’d never used a sewing machine or an iron. But she likes doing art projects, so a quilt seemed like a perfect project while she and her family were visiting us for a week.
Lin-Z likes butterflies and monkeys, and she chose a monkey as the subject of her quilt. She started by drawing the monkey on a piece of freezer paper (here’s the first draft). Then she labeled and cut out all the pieces. Continue reading